Let’s face it, moving can be overwhelming. But, the more organized you are, the more in control you will feel. Here’s a checklist to help guide you as you prepare to make the move to Prince Rupert.
6 Weeks Before Move
Create a binder or electronic file to hold all move-related paperwork (checklist, contracts, receipts).
Get estimates and hire a mover. Here are several questions to ask:
- Are on-site estimates offered?
- How is pricing determined?
- Will the movers pack items? If so, additional cost?
- What insurance is included?
- What additional charges may arise?
Or, call and get an estimate on renting a moving truck. Get all estimates in writing, and request signed copies. You may want to contact your insurance company for additional coverage.
5 Weeks Before Move
- Conduct a room-by-room survey. Sort items to keep, donate, discard and sell.
- Organize and hold a garage sale, if desired.
- Have valuable items appraised. Photograph or videotape – note any damage.
- Phone to arrange for homeowners insurance at your new home, and cancel at your old home. Please check with Mike or Nikki if you don’t know what day that would be effective.
- Locate health practitioners in the community you are moving to, make arrangements to have standing prescriptions at a pharmacy near your home. Mike and Nikki use the Safeway Pharmacy:
Safeway Prince Rupert
200 2 Ave W, Prince Rupert, BC V8J 1G5
4 Weeks Before Move
Fill out change of address with post office and send friends and family a “We’re Moving” email!
Gather packing supplies, including:
- Boxes (various sizes, wardrobe and specialty boxes)
- Box cutters
- Tape (packing, masking, blue painters)
- Tape dispensers
- Wrapping materials (bubble, plastic, tissue paper)
3 Weeks Before Move
- Pack contents of garage, attic and storage areas, as well as other infrequently used items.
Mark boxes and furniture with appropriate labels.
- Label and number each box. Keep a master inventory list with contents of each box.
- Make arrangements to have electricity, phone, gas, internet, cable/satellite disconnected in your old home the day you leave and installed in the new home the day before you arrive (see phone numbers above for installations in Prince Rupert).
- Call a locksmith to have your new home locks changed on moving day or shortly thereafter (optional). Gary’s Lock is 250-624-2666.
- Arrange to have a cleaning company to clean the new home before you arrive, if desired.
2 Weeks Before Move
Pack the bulk of your items and notify magazines, banks, credit card companies and government of your new address.
1 Week Before Move
- Print an information sheet for the movers. Include new address, directions and your cell numbers.
- Finish packing. Set aside enough clothing for the week ahead plus a suitcase to pack.
- Place small valuables and important documents in a box/bag. Keep it in a safe place on moving day.
- Discard any hazardous materials that cannot be moved in the moving truck.
- Consider hiring a cleaning company to come in and do a quick clean after the movers leave or schedule a day that you will come back and make sure everything is in place for the new occupants.
- Create a last out, first in box with all day to day necessities, including any of the following that are applicable:
- Bedding & Towels
- Toiletries & Toilet paper
- Basic tools
- Cleaning supplies
- A few dishes
- Do a walk-through before movers arrive to make sure everything is organized.
- Make sure there are no items left behind.
- Give keys to the Realtor or property manager.
- Read all the registers and record the readings.
- Moving Into Your New Home
- Arrange for someone to direct the movers at your new home. Ensure they have a copy of the master packing list and are taking inventory, as boxes are unloaded.
- Inspect for damage. Photograph any relevant items before signing release.
- Test faucets, toilets, utilities, smoke detectors and phone.
- Begin to unpack.
- Flatten boxes. Store for future use or recycle them.
- Enjoy your new home!
- Within 30 Days of Your Move
- Pick up mail being held at the local post office.
- Change of address: Driver’s License, Voter’s Registration, Auto Registration