Ready to sell your Prince Rupert home? First impressions are everything. Mike has been in hundreds of homes in Prince Rupert and Port Edward. Based on his observations, here’s some advice on getting your property ready to sell.
Making Your Property Fit To Sell
The outside of your property is the first thing potential buyers see. In fact, it has been said that a large number of homes are sold before the buyers even get out of their cars! Stand across the street from your home and review its curb appeal. Do your siding and/or windows need washing? Are there any repairs needed? Does your garden need to be weeded and shrubs and trees trimmed? Does your lawn need mowing and pet areas cleaned up? These are just the basics but it is very important to create a good first impression so potential buyers are willing to give the rest of your home a fair look.
Making a House a Home
For the interior of your house, here are some guidelines to maximize your viewing success:
- Cleanliness: So crucial to many people. If you don’t have the time to clean your home thoroughly, consider hiring a one-time cleaning service– it will be money well spent. In addition, a clean smell is extremely important – pay special attention to pet areas, nurseries and bathrooms.
- Get Rid of Clutter: Simplify! Simplify! If a home is cluttered with “stuff”, most buyers have trouble imagining themselves in it. Clutter can overwhelm. By removing or storing things you don’t need, you create a roomy, comfortable feeling that will be inviting to prospective buyers.
- Keep it Neutral: When possible, keep the paint, decor and carpeting neutral; this will appeal to a broader range of viewers.
- Special Touches: Make your home warm and inviting with fresh flowers, a warm temperature when it is cold outside and having well-lit rooms.
- Touch Ups: Over the years, things may break or get worn looking and we just accept the fact that they will always be this way. Do any areas of your home need paint touch ups? Does a broken closet door need to be fixed? Does an old light fixture need to be replaced?
It is this frame of mind that you will have to break out of to get your house ready to show. Remember to look at your home through the potential buyer’s eyes.
Want more tips for selling your home? Here is some advice from RE/MAX of Western Canada.